We are delighted to announce that the Children’s Brain Tumour Research Centre (CBTRC) at the University of Nottingham has been chosen to be one of this year’s beneficiary charities at the ‘Manchester Utd Legends’ football match being hosted at Daventry Town Football Club, Northants on Sunday 20th May, 2012.
DTFC will generously donate and distribute 75% of all proceeds raised between its chosen recipient charities under the DTFC Community Charity Fund Umbrella, the other 25% going towards improving facilities and development at the club. Upon hearing Abbies’ story, Mr Terry O’neill Commercial Manager at DTFC wanted the CBTRC represented at this year’s monster event!
The ‘Man Utd Legends’ team will take on opposition ‘Dav Town Reds’ which will be made up of local fans. The full list of Manchester Utd players, ticket information and the latest news regarding the event can be found on the club website at www.pitchero.com/clubs/daventrytown.
There is a full programme of sponsorship and advertising available for any companies which may be interested in taking advantage of what’s sure to be an extremely entertaining and well attended occasion. Full rates & packages can be viewed here. (This is now closed 12/5/12 )
After the match the excellent facilities of the club can be enjoyed into the evening, where there will be a charity auction which has some awesome lots on offer for the real enthusiast!! Lots of signed shirts and boots will be up for grabs plus the ‘Star Lot’ a signed painting with three of the most iconic footballers of all time George Best, Dennis Law & Bobby Charlton, all on one picture!! These are all sure to attract some generous and competitive bidding all for fantastic worthy causes.
It promises to be an exciting day for all and Abbie’s Army will be there in proud support of the event and the Children’s Brain Tumour Research Centre, so come and join in if you can!!!
Arrived bright and early to set up Sunday morning...boy it was cold! but surely and steadily the numbers soon increased. Assault course inflated, gazebo erected we were looking forward to a great day for the Army.
Kick off was 2.0pm at which point the ground was packed as Man Utd Legends including Dennis Irwin, Frank Stapleton & Sammy McIlroy took to the pitch against local Daventry Town Red fans! The final score was 2-0 to the Legends of course!!
The crowds then piled back into the clubhouse for the evenings auction with signed shirts from Cantona, Scholes, Giggs & Rooney all up for grabs! £8000 was raised in the auction alone.
In all over 1150 people attended and raised a fantastic sum estimations are £20,000 to be divided between the supported charities, on top of which we collected a massive £830 on our pitch so thank you to everyone who came to find us.
We have to thank particularly Terry O'Neill and all the organisers, such a lot of planning is involved in putting an event like this together and everything ran so smoothly even though I'm sure it was very stressful!
We had some great helpers on our pitch for the day to , thanks to Gina & Sienna for travelling from Ashford to support, also Jaydn Chattaway for helping set up and the wonderful Hart family, Clive,Jo,Leanne and Jody for selling cakes, collecting raffle prizes and selling tickets. Thanks everyone.
We will update here when we know exactly the amount we have generated for the Children's Brain Tumour Research Centre (CBTRC).
Sunday 22nd July and we collected our cheque on the presentation evening, a massive and very lovely £2300 for the Children's Brain Tumour Research Center..just fantastic!!!
Buy your wristbands here
Abbie's Army - Fight Kids Brain Cancer - © 2012: Charity Reg: 1149400